Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cali Coast Road Trip Part 3: The Coast

After a quick run in Mission Beach and some delicious fish tacos I left San Diego to head up the coast.
 
Along the way, I stopped for the sunset just north of Santa Barbara.

Upon arrival in Solvang, I went straight to the brewery to see how the beer was since my last visit (2011 cycling trip).

Solvang is a beautiful Dutch town that not only includes multiple delicious pastry restaurants, but even has a windmill in the middle of town! This night also happened to be by far the quietest I've spent inside a town anywhere. I remember being baffled at not hearing a single noise while car camping in a neighborhood.
 
Just north of Solvang is the quaint and quiet Los Olivos. Usually bustling with activity, at this time of day and season, I about had the town to myself.

The weather was overcast upon arrival in San Luis Obispo so I drove on through up the coast to Big Sur.

While it is a much better road by bike, the drive was not too bad.

This is the same bridge I shot a picture of with my bike and put on my first business cards when I first came through here in February 2011.

The rocky coast, even outside of Big Sur is simply spectacular.

Upon leaving Big Sur, I caught a gorgeous sunset in Carmel-by-the-Sea after a nice long run along the beach and up through the trails inside Pebble Beach.
 
Driving around the bay, I spent a quiet morning on a secluded section of beach reading and making tea (as is my morning routine) before going for an incredible run along the coast in Santa Cruz.
 

This was one of those neat spots that would spray water up 15ft or higher on occasion.

Freshly arrived in San Francisco, I booked the downtown HI hostel for a shower and some camaraderie. I picked the right day too, as Thursday happened to be Pub Crawl night.
 
English guys are always crazy. Especially when there's a birthday.

We hit up 6 different bars throughout the night and even went dancing at the last one!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment