Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cali Coast Road Trip Part 1: Moab

Recently, I decided it was time to return to the place where my adventure started. Well, not the adventure, per say, but the idea for the adventure. The inspiration behind it. The magical, raw beauty of the California coastline.

 
As I packed up and left my new, temporary home of Boulder, CO, I caught the sun descending over Lake Dillon.

 Wherever this particular bike path goes, I plan to find out next time I come through.

After a beautiful, starry night at my favorite free campsite in Rabbit Valley, I crossed the border into Utah with a nice sunrise backdrop.
 
From there, I again took my favorite scenic drive (Highway 128) along the Colorado river down into Moab.

 These shots show how incredible this drive is.

Along the way, I found my new favorite hike/run along the Negro Bill Trailhead to Morning Glory Arch. It's a nice 4 miles with only a few stream crossings and such to interrupt the run.

Fisher Valley is another beautiful area along the route. If you do the La Sal Mountain loop on your road bike, you will pass the same sights though.

Next up was a hike in Hunter's Canyon, but I found the trail too rough to run, so I turned around and went for a run on one of the many mountain bike trails along the way. It's incredible the terrain some are able to ride bikes over.


To finish off the day, I hiked up to the top of the ridge overlooking Moab for a look at the town at sunset. In the distance, are the La Sal Mountains which can be biked up to by road (about 64 miles with 6k+ft climbing for a round trip loop; that one was made tough by insane always in your face winds...) or by mountain bike with a shuttle ride.

From the top of the Moab Rim Trail looking down on Cane Creek Blvd, Hwy 279, and the Colorado River.

The sunset was well worth the steep hike.

In summation, Moab is not just a climbing/mountain biker's paradise. The road riding and trail running is quite fantastic as well. For trail running, I recommend the Pipe Dream trail for good up and down and side to side flow and for road biking, Highway 279 east from 191 for a nice scenic and flat out and back ride through the canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment